Tuesday, August 12, 2014

my theme song

Not just because Ally McBeal told me that everyone needs one, but I have always had a theme song.

I was asked to write about my anthem, the song that reminds me who I am. I have several, actually. BUT they all share a common theme.

"Bitch" by Meredith Brooks, "Witchy Woman" by the Eagles, and "Black Magic Woman" by Carlos Santana. Those three songs I think describe me to a tee. I am an onion, I have many layers, and I surprise the shit out of people. A LOT.

I look like the Virgin Connie Swail. No, really. I know I do. BUT, I have tattoos, I cuss like a longshoreman, and do not practice any religion. Does any of that make me evil? Nope, not one bit. It makes me complicated, it makes me interesting, IT MAKES ME... well, ME.


SEE? I wasn't kidding. I. look. like. her. Sweet, pure, but DARK AND TWISTY inside.

I love the lyrics, the tune, and the strength that Meredith Brooks emits from this one song. I hate that she got inside my head (we didn't even have dinner first!), but I LOVE that she seems to be doing the "Isn't it Ironic" bit with a lot cooler edge than Alannis ever could have tried.

"Bitch" by Meredith Brooks
I hate the world today
You're so good to me
I know but I can't change
Tried to tell you
But you look at me like maybe
I'm an angel underneath
Innocent and sweet
Yesterday I cried
Must have been relieved to see
The softer side
I can understand how you'd be so confused
I don't envy you
I'm a little bit of everything
All rolled into one

I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a child, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
I'm your hell, I'm your dream
I'm nothing in between
You know you wouldn't want it any other way

So take me as I am
This may mean
You'll have to be a stronger man
Rest assured that
When I start to make you nervous
And I'm going to extremes
Tomorrow I will change
And today won't mean a thing

Just when you think, you got me figured out
The season's already changing
I think it's cool, you do what you do
And don't try to save me

I'm a bitch, I'm a tease
I'm a goddess on my knees
When you hurt, when you suffer
I'm your angel undercover
I've been numb, I'm revived
Can't say I'm not alive
You know I wouldn't want it any other way

"Witchy Woman" by the Eagles
Raven hair and ruby lips
sparks fly from her finger tips
Echoed voices in the night
she's a restless spirit on an endless flight
wooo hooo witchy woman, see how
high she flies
woo hoo witchy woman she got
the moon in her eye
She held me spellbound in the night
dancing shadows and firelight
crazy laughter in another
room and she drove herself to madness
with a silver spoon
woo hoo witchy woman see how high she flies
woo hoo witchy woman she got the moon in her eye
Well I know you want a lover,
let me tell your brother, she's been sleeping
in the Devil's bed.
And there's some rumors going round
someone's underground
she can rock you in the nighttime
'til your skin turns red
woo hoo witchy woman
see how high she flies
woo hoo witchy woman
she got the moon in her eye


"Black Magic Woman" by Carlos Santana
Got a black magic woman
Got a black magic woman

I've got a black magic woman
Got me so blind I can't see
That she's a black magic woman
She's tryin' to make a devil out of me

Turn your back on me, baby
Turn your back on me, baby

Yes, don't turn your back on me baby
Stop messin' 'round with your tricks
Don't turn your back on me baby
You just might pick up my magic sticks

Got your spell on me baby
Got your spell on me baby

Yes, you got your spell on me baby
Turning my heart into stone
I need you so bad, magic woman
I can't leave you alone

No comments:

Post a Comment